NOLS (National Outdoor Leadership School) is a nonprofit global wilderness school that supports
thousands of students each year all over the world. Our school began in a small cabin in Sinks
Canyon, Wyoming in 1965 as the National Outdoor Leadership School. At that time, we were primarily
an outdoors skills school, doing our work in local mountain ranges and exploring what it meant to teach
leadership in the backcountry. Today, we are NOLS, a multifaceted wilderness school headquartered in
Lander, Wyoming with locations in seven U.S. states and six countries, that supports thousands of
students each year all over the world in both field & classroom courses.
The Account Manager cultivates and fosters relationships with organizations and individuals outside of
NOLS who “sponsor” or host Wilderness Medicine courses. Sponsors include universities,
community-based nonprofits, businesses, and government agencies. Account Managers are
responsible for the full lifecycle of sponsored courses, from new sponsor inquiries to contracting,
logistics, enrollment, and communication, within a clearly defined portfolio of sponsors. Account
Managers also collect and analyze feedback from sponsors, instructors and students, allowing for
continuous improvement for the benefit of NOLS Wilderness Medicine and all our partners.
● 2-3 years of account management, customer service, and/or project management experience
● Technological proficiency and a propensity to adapt and learn new technologies
● Prowess for communicating across diverse stakeholder groups via phone, email, and video
● Capacity for strategic planning and big-picture vision
● Desire to energetically and accurately represent NOLS to a variety of constituents including
current or prospective sponsors
● Talent for review and creation of systematic and logical processes
● Ability to assess sponsors’ desired outcomes and to suggest solutions in alignment with NOLS
business practices and guidelines
● Competence to work independently, organize multiple duties, and prioritize workload
● Initiative, organization, flexibility, and tolerance for adversity and uncertainty.
● Faculty to develop a firm understanding of the NOLS Wilderness Medicine mission,
organizational systems, and policies; as well as sponsors’ mission, systems, and internal
policies (examples: budget cycles and operational procedures) as they relate to sponsoring
● Fluency with software products including Microsoft D365, Smartsheets, Microsoft Office Suite,
and Google Drive
● Experience working for or with nonprofits
Each Account Manager has a defined portfolio of sponsors, and the percentages below vary depending
on the portfolio. For example, high-volume sponsors (up to 300 courses per year) may require a higher
percentage of time for relationship management, whereas lower volume sponsors (e.g. 1-10
courses/year) may require more attention to course management.
● Coordinate with sponsors from initial request of dates, to logistics, course completion, and
● Provide programmatic and logistical support for NOLS Wilderness Medicine sponsored courses
held in locations throughout the world. This includes pre-course tasks such as securing course
location, instructor housing facilities, as well as communicating directly with instructors and
managing student communication through the Admissions team.
● Regularly communicate with sponsors to ensure accurate information is presented to service
providers, students, and instructors.
● Certify adherence to policies and best practices for, and database integrity for courses.
● Supervise Program Assistant (if applicable) in related tasks.
● Ensure that sponsors have the most up-to-date information regarding NOLS policies and
practices; and conversely that NOLS is up-to-date with sponsor needs and business practices.
● Identify trends and opportunities for growth, as well as best practices to maintain excellent
student and instructor experiences.
● Manage concerns, questions, and conflicts; and negotiate mutually desirable outcomes.
● Assess and improve work flows between teams; engaging with NOLS-wide initiatives.
● All other duties as assigned.
Work Location and Compensation
This position has a strong preference for a candidate to be at the NOLS Headquarters in Lander, WY. If
a remote option is offered you must be a legal resident of: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho,
Maine, Minnesota, Montana, New York, Utah, Washington, or Wyoming. Please note not all locations in
all states listed are eligible. For specific locations please reach out to the recruiter listed below in the
‘How to Apply’ section. Current employees and residents in the state of Colorado please contact HR for
COVID-19 Vaccine Policy
All employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their first day of work, unless
they meet a medical, disability or religious exemption and a reasonable accommodation is approved.
Any COVID-19 vaccine approved by the World Health Organization (WHO) is an acceptable vaccine for
the purpose of this policy. Full vaccination or an approved exemption is a condition of employment for
all new employees.
Equal Employment Opportunity
NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation,
gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or
status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its
employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its
educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination
complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful
discrimination is prohibited.
NOLS values community and fosters a sense of belonging for our employees and applicants. We are
committed to providing reasonable accommodations in the workplace because they embody these
values, as well as our operating principle of promoting a positive, safe, and learning environment.
Reasonable accommodations may be requested for disability; limitations related to pregnancy,
childbirth, or a related medical condition; religion; and domestic violence, sexual assault, stalking, or
harassment. Reasonable accommodations may be requested at any point of the employment process,
including during recruitment. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your request.
Last Reviewed 20XX.XX
● A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
● NOLS participates in E-verify.
How to Apply
Please send your cover letter and resume, and any questions to: Jennifer Berry, Wilderness Medicine
Business Operations Director, at email@example.com.
Closing Date for Applications
Open Until Filled
The target start date for this role is two weeks from the time of offer.