NOLS (National Outdoor Leadership School) is a nonprofit global wilderness school that supports thousands of students each year all over the world. Our school began in a small cabin in Sinks Canyon, Wyoming in 1965 as the National Outdoor Leadership School. At that time, we were primarily an outdoors skills school, doing our work in local mountain ranges and exploring what it meant to teach leadership in the backcountry. Today, we are NOLS, a multifaceted wilderness school headquartered in Lander, Wyoming with locations in seven U.S. states and six countries, that supports thousands of students each year all over the world in both field & classroom courses.
Work on a team in a commercial kitchen to prepare nutritious and delicious meals for NOLS students and instructors during their in-town days at the start and end of their NOLS course. Actively contribute to an inclusive, positive, hard-working culture in the kitchen.
● Desire to cook and/or bake simple products, able to follow a recipe, and comfortable asking for clarification/help.
● Effective communication skills and a strong work ethic.
● Ability to work effectively on a team and follow through with tasks independently. ● Positive, friendly approach to student-service.
● Hard-working, detail-oriented, and committed to excellence.
● Ability to work flexible and irregular hours, with a goal of maintaining a 40-hour work week. ● Capable of lifting 50 lbs, working while standing for extended periods of time, functioning well in outdoor conditions (e.g. hot summer days while cooking on a grill).
● Commitment to cleanliness and organization.
● Food preparation and service.
● Maintain a clean and sanitary workplace.
● Observe all health department regulations.
● Maintenance and sanitation of the kitchen and dining room.
● Transport food to NOLS Rocky Mountain and associated basecamp.
● Other duties as assigned.
NOLS Rocky Mountain in Lander, WY.
COVID-19 Vaccine Policy
All employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their first day of work, unless they meet a medical, disability or religious exemption and a reasonable accommodation is approved. Any COVID-19 vaccine approved by the World Health Organization (WHO) is an acceptable vaccine for the purpose of this policy. Full vaccination or an approved exemption is a condition of employment for all new employees.
Equal Employment Opportunity
NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
NOLS values community and fosters a sense of belonging for our employees and applicants. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations in the workplace because they embody these values, as well as our operating principle of promoting a positive, safe, and learning environment. Reasonable accommodations may be requested for disability; limitations related to pregnancy, childbirth, or a related medical condition; religion; and domestic violence, sexual assault, stalking, or harassment. Reasonable accommodations may be requested at any point of the employment process, including during recruitment. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your request.
● A criminal background check is required from all NOLS employees.
● NOLS participates in E-verify.
How to Apply
Please send your cover letter and resume, and any questions to: Katie Craig, NOLS Rocky Mountain Operations Manager, email@example.com
Closing Date for Applications
Open Until Filled
The target start date for this role is two weeks from the time of offer.
This is an hourly, summer seasonal position from June through August or September. The position will plan on 40 hours of work per week, with occasional early morning, late night, and weekend hours. Housing available for a small fee.
Thank you for your interest in NOLS. Please consider providing some optional, anonymous information by visiting this link.