JOB TITLE: NOLS Customer Service Representative
REPORTS TO: NOLS Sales & Marketing Assistant Director
JOB OBJECTIVE: As a member of the Customer Service team, the customer service representative (CSR) represents one of the first points of contact for the school. Team members are responsible for providing excellent customer service in person, and via telephone, email, and chat for schoolwide offerings (Expeditions, Wilderness Medicine, Risk Services, and Custom Education). Customer service representatives are part of the Sales & Marketing team.
- Primary initial point of contact for all inbound communications to the school ( in person or via phone, online chat, texting, and email, etc.) including customer service and NOLS World Headquarters reception coverage.
- Works with prospective students to help in their consideration and application processes including providing course information, recommendations, and other application support.
- Provides exceptional customer service and maintains a positive and professional attitude at all times.
- Assigned admission enrollment support responsibilities such as compiling, updating, and distributing student enrollment materials, evaluations, and admission and scholarship forms.
- Other duties to be assigned as requested by Marketing & Admissions Department.
- Exceptional sales and customer service skills, including maintaining a positive, empathetic, calm, and professional attitude toward customers at all times, and promptly responding to inquiries.
- Passion for NOLS' mission and excitement for fulfilling it in creative ways.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, and verbal and written communication skills.
- Enthusiastic and team-oriented disposition.
- Ability to connect and build rapport with a wide variety of individuals through various communication channels.
- Must demonstrate both a propensity for collaboration as well as the ability to be self-directed.
- Excellent “expedition behavior.”
- Office skills, including proficiency with email, Google Suite, Microsoft Office, spreadsheets, data entry, clerical tasks, and other information and data tracking platforms. Experience with HelpScout and Hubspot is preferred. Willingness and ability to learn new systems as required.
- Previous experience working in customer support or reception preferred.
- NOLS graduate preferred.
LEADERSHIP OR SUPERVISORY DUTIES: This position does not have direct supervisory duties. To be successful in this role, individuals must thrive in a collaborative team environment and enjoy creative problem solving. Must demonstrate a propensity for self-leadership with ability to balance being a member of dynamic Marketing & Admissions team while also remaining self-directed, seeking feedback, articulating needs, and maintaining a degree of ownership and responsibility.
Customer service representatives work as a team to manage NOLS Headquarters reception duties (especially as workloads shift seasonally), and with other Admissions, Enrollment Support, and Sales & Marketing staff. Representatives serve as an informational resource for students, staff, alumni, potential donors, volunteers, agency personnel, and other VIPs.
Customer service representatives may be called upon to provide support in the event of serious incidents.
FUNDS AND/OR PROPERTY: Shared responsibility for securing expedition deposits and tuition installments, and for accurately communicating financial status of a student's account.
60% - Customer service: Be well-versed to communicate with prospective and enrolled students in person or via phone, online chat, texting, and email regarding NOLS.
35% - Reception + Clerical support: Provides front desk coverage, screens and routes calls, digital communications, and in-person visitors. Provides general information about NOLS as needed. Completes office tasks related to school-wide enrollment support, such as filing, database updates, reviewing admission forms, etc.
5% - Other projects as assigned.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: NOLS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetics information, disability unrelated to job or admission requirements, or status as a protected veteran. The school’s nondiscrimination policy applies to all phases of its employment process, its admission and financial aid programs, and to all other aspects of its educational programs and activities. Retaliation directed to any person who pursues a discrimination complaint or grievance, participates in a discrimination investigation, or otherwise opposes unlawful discrimination is prohibited.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: A criminal background check is required of all NOLS employees.
E-VERIFY: NOLS participates in E-Verify.
WORK LOCATION: NOLS World Headquarters, Lander, WY.
HOW TO APPLY: Address cover letter and resume to Kary Sommers, Sales & Marketing Assistant Director.
Send to Trish Eubanks.
Contact Kary Sommers with questions, firstname.lastname@example.org
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: Open until filled.
STARTING DATE: TBD.